1. The first civilization in the Tigris-Euphrates Valley was the Sumerians.
2. Sumerians were the first civilization to develop writing.
3. The Sumerian style of writing today is known as cuneiform.
4. The Sumerians invented the ark, a curved wooden structure. Watch out Noah.
5. Ziggurats were the temples in which Sumerians practiced their religion.
6. Intelligent boys who showed a greater understanding were trained to be scribes.
7. Phoenicia was formed of several City-States, each with its' own government.
8. The Phoenicians were the founders of the glass-blowing, a designing art.
9. Phoenician sculptors normally used ivory, a prized pocession that was shipped in from North and South Africa.
10. The alphabet was first founded by the Phoenicians.
11. The Lydians were the first people to develop coined money.
12. Before the issuing of coins, people had to barter in order to get other goods.
13. The Lydians passed on the concept of a money economy to the Greeks and Persians.
14. People throughout the ancient world prized cloth dyed with purple because it was the favorite of the rich
15. Assyrians were the first people to use a cavalry army, or people on horseback.